[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Small villages in Volynia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 30 08:24:15 PDT 2006

At 07:23 PM 29/04/2006, Elmer Grenke wrote:
>I have a general type of question .
>
>Both my parents were born in small villages in Volynika ,in the
>early 1900 ' s .  Looking at a period map of the time
>( Dr Stump  ? ) There appear to be numerous small villages . Judging
>by the scale  they appear to be about 3 - 5 Km apart . Was there
>some sort of centre , or nucleus to these villages . What we might
>call a general store , blacksmith shop , post office , village
>policeman , and so on . Or were they just signposts or mileposts
>
>Thanks
>
>Elmer Grenke

Don't forget that a map like Stummp's would in most cases only show
the villages where Germans lived.  There would be numerous other
villages in the area and some of these would be market towns where
services of this type would be available.  In many cases, the market
town would be where the Jewish community lived.  In some cases the
villages were quite remotely located and it would be quite a distance
to the nearest services.  Some German farmers incorporated a service
industry in their village such as blacksmith shop or flour mill.

Some gazetteers which list villages will also list the nearest post
office location which is also where you might find a market and other services.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca