[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Book - Russia in 1919

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Wed Aug 30 11:42:31 PDT 2006

  Jerry, Gloria,

      Arthur Ransome, who wrote "Russia in 1919" and "The Crisis in
 Russia", is very famous in Britain as a children's author - he wrote
 the popular "Swallows and Amazons" books about children who spend
 their holidays sailing on the lakes in northern England. I don't
 know whether these books are well known in the US and Canada, but
 in Britain they always come high up in votes for favourite books.

     So it's a real surprise to find that before he became a children's
 author he was a left-wing journalist, and that he was married to
 Trotsky's secretary.

   There's an entertaining article about Ransome's Russian connections at
 http://books.guardian.co.uk/news/articles/0,6109,1434209,00.html

        Paul Rakow
        rakow at ifh.de