[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] A Biography of No Place (utb Book - Russia in1919)

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Thu Aug 31 06:50:47 PDT 2006

    I as well obtained the book via Library Exchange following Dick's earlier recommendation.   Sig's suggestion. should certainly be considered.

John Marsch

    Dick Benert was the first to bring this book to our attention.
    I obtained a copy through the Library Exchange program.
    I find it a must read for those who are searching to understand what was happening there at that time.
    It is well worth your time.

    Sig Matt

  "Donne, Alexsana" <ADonne at sara.com> wrote:
    I just found Kate Brown's book available on Amazon.com in paperback for
  US $18.95. It looks to be quite interesting. I order from Amazon.com,
  .ca and .uk all the time, and the shipping from country to country isn't
  usually to cost prohibitive.

  Lexi

  Gloria,
  And if anyone is interested in Volhynia in 1919 (and the years before
  and
  after it), I will mention again the very fine book by Kate Brown, "A
  Biography of No Place. From Ethnic Borderland to Soviet Heartland",
  Cambridge, 2004. This gives a good worm's eye view of what the
  transition
  to the Soviet system was like in Volhynia. It deals largely with the
  Polish
  element in Volhynia, but the Germans get some attention, too. It's a
  shame
  that this book isn't available online. It probably costs a small
  fortune to
  buy, but there's always interlibrary loan.

  Dick Benert