[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Lying about age on ship's passenger list

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Fri Dec 1 00:21:32 PST 2006

Otto schrieb:

>I've found individuals were caught in census reports where the
>information is usually accurate.  These individuals also usually
>became citizens.  There are naturalization papers that are accurate
>to a large extent. Naturalization papers contain much information.

Otto,
I got a contrary impression:
[Karl Heinrich Ferdinand] Gustav FUNCKE, * 18 Nov 1834 Herdecke,
Westphalia, Prussia,
in the departure manifest from 'Germans to America', Hamburg 2 Oct 1872
he was 37 years old (correct),
in the immigration manifest, NY, 15 Oct 1872, also 37 years old (correct),
and in the 1880 US census, San Francisco, 7 Jun 1880, he said to be 41
(lied).
I don't know if he had the American citizenship in 1880 (later I lost
track of him), but if he lied in the US census, he certainly lied in the
naturalization manifest too.

Guenther