[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Lowicz Poland history question

Otto otto at schienke.com
Fri Dec 1 09:56:21 PST 2006

Gregory Bateson in one of his metalogues entertained the question,
"Why do things get in a muddle? I've always harbored this vague
notion it was from stirring the kettle as I place my hand on the
ladle. . .  Muddled things need no explanation.
===============
Steve's question:
<Does anyone have any information on a Russian military detachment
and military hospital that may have been stationed in Lowicz Poland
in the mid 1800s?  I have noticed a large number of Russian soldiers
from areas such as Lithuania and Courland among death records in
1846-7.  I am not aware of any military campaigns during that period
that may explain these deaths.  Or could it perhaps been caused by
some sort of epidemic?  My historical information on Lowicz does not
refer to these issues. Thank you, Steve Beilstein>
==============
Be mindful that whenever mammals are clustered, whatever parasites
them or feeds on them joins the party.
Invading and existing armies created and induced spread of disease
due to clustering of themselves, contaminating the water supply and
sharing their lice. (Pediculus humanus corporis.) & (Vibrio cholerae)
It has been stated of men and armies, "The world is their bathroom."

I would discount the "Irish Potato Blight" and famine. Many of the
Irish had a mono-diet, three potatoes a day. No potatoes, no Irish.
(to understand this, one must study the English Taxation System and
Ireland)
Poles and Russians had a diversified diet.

My cousin, Georg, thinking on his father who died on the Eastern
Front, jokingly states many died of lead poisoning, their heads
weren't "kugelsicher".

Review the following URLS and consider two of the outstanding
pestilences, Typhus and Cholera.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemic_typhus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholera
The URLS below contain more indication of Typhus and Cholera.

Jerry's recommendation is a good read-it begins to flesh out some of
the detail.
	Subject: 	Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Lowicz Poland history question
	Date: 	November 30, 2006 11:56:02 PM EST
<"You might find some clues at
http://home.comcast.net/~markconrad/PSKOV.html though some of the
info seems to be a little bit earlier than 1846.">

Mid-1700's Fritz der Grosse booted Jesuits out of Prussia, labeling
them trouble-makers.
Poland was available to them with diversified rule and belief-

Most of us are familiar with 1806 and Napoleon, and Russia in 1813-
If not, Google a bit.
In 1831 Poland declared its independence so Russia invaded it.
It didn't end there- It continued. . .
1865 culminated in a failed pro-independence uprising, Poland turns
into the Vistula Province, Polish and Lithuanian languages are
forbidden, and the Russians persecute the Catholic Church.. (I wonder
why?)
(View all this from a European perspective... It was the Age of
Enlightenment and the end of the Church Age and Feudalism.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_Uprising
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wielkopolska_Uprising_%281848%29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krak%C3%B3w_Uprising
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_Uprising
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congress_Poland

http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/myadel/Pandemics.htm
http://www.polishroots.com/history/galician_research.htm
===============================

Some 'cut & paste' events from a Polish timeline-

1831        Mar 26, An interim government was set up in Raseiniai as
a Lithuanian revolt against Russian rule began. There was a major
uprising led by the Polish nobility in Warsaw against Russian rule.
Russian forces began to march through Lithuania and this led many
people of Lithuania to join in the rebellion against Russian rule.
Serf uprisings also followed. The rebellion was eventually quelled by
Russian force.
     (H of L, 1931, p.85-86)(LHC, 3/26/03)

1831        May 26, Russians defeated the Poles at battle of
Ostrolenska.
     (HN, 5/26/98)

1832        Feb 26, The Polish constitution was abolished by Czar
Nicholas I.
     (SC, 2/26/02)

1846        Feb 23, Polish revolutionaries marched on Cracow, but
were defeated.
     (MC, 2/23/02)

1861        Feb 27, In the Warsaw massacre Russian troops fired on a
crowd protesting Russian rule over Poland. Five marchers were killed.
     (AP, 2/27/98)

1863        Jan 22, The interim Lithuanian government in Warsaw
announced an uprising against Russian rule. The uprising aspired to
restore the Polish-Lithuanian state and was supported by large
numbers of peasants.
     (DrEE, 9/14/96, p.4)(LHC, 1/22/03)

1864          Mar 2, Russian Czar Alexander II upheld reforms in
Poland that gave landholders ownership of their lands.
     (LHC,3/1/03)

. . .   Otto

             " The Zen moment..." wk. of November 19, 2006-