[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Lying about age on shp's passenger list

Frederick Raudat frederick.raudat at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 1 16:05:06 PST 2006

I have found that in both Irish genealogy and with Polish genealogy, that
quite often people didn't know their birthdates.  A woman who worked with
some Polish records with me explained it to me this way.  She grew up in
Poland and had been in a work camp during the war.  She said midwives often
were reporting the information to the rural village parish or later the
civil body.  Sometimes it didn't get recorded and it wasn't necessarily
considered that important by people.  She explained, you were here, that's
all you knew.

People had different reasons: My great grandfather's first wife was 8 years
older than he and she had been married before and had a son.  On the ship
manifest, she is give the age 46 at the time she came here. He was 38.I have
his baptismal record for Ostpreussen. On her burial record in the cemetery
when she died a year after coming here, her age was listed 39, the same age
as he was that year.

I have an Irish great great grandfather who I have an age range for.  His
age is different every time.  His death record indicates he was 80 having
been born in 1813, but census records indicate a range of up to ten years
later.  Why?  They were illiterate for one thing.  For another his second
wife was almost 20 years his junior.  His name also has variations from
Mara, Murray, Marrow, Murrow, Marra.  People quite often didn't know.  They
might know a range, but it just wasn't considered that important.  Would you
know how old you were if someone hadn't told you?  There are not a lot of
Irish records in existence for before the 19th century.  And trying to find
a tombstone for some of this people just won't happen.  They don't exist.
Some Irish didn't want as they thought the person purchasing such would be
next, or could not afford tombstones, while others felt quite the opposite
and often times you will see the phrase 'erected by so and so' etched in
them.  Before this man died in CT, he transferred his farm to his son and
the deed says with 'promise of a Christian burial.'

Then of course there is human error in recording and hearing and perhaps
accents to complicate things.  Even clergy recording spellings in old German
records were often spelling phonetically and not always accurate.