[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Stelmach : is this a Ukrainian surname?

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Dec 3 15:13:00 PST 2006

Miles,

It would appear that some Ukrainian family modified their surname
with the result that it appears to be Germanic, perhaps as Irene
suggested.  If you look at this 1901 census page:

http://automatedgenealogy.com/census/DisplayPagePanb.jsp?id=68625&desc=1901+Census+of+Canada+records

you will find listings for Ossofry, Magda and Iakien Stelmach in a
predominantly Ukrainian community.  No way that those first names
sound Germanic.  Also shows someone researching it with the Stelmack spelling.

Other first names associated with Stelmach include Fedora

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca