[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] [Ger-Poland-Volhynia ] Potato Famine in Europe

rbbtfarm rbbtfarm at wavecable.com
Mon Dec 4 01:33:45 PST 2006

Nelson wrote........

Did the Potato Famine affect other parts of the world?
 Nelson

Message: 3 [<ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org> Vol 43, Issue 2]
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006
From: "Nelson Itterman" <colnels at telus.net>
Poland history question

*************
Hi Nelson,

To answer your question...... I am an advid watcher of the Biography/History
channels etc. I also try to take notes.

In a recently repeated show on the Irish Potato Famine, it was mentioned
that Europe also had difficulty with it. The potato took root in Europe
after the "Year Without a Summer". That was caused by the huge volcanic
eruption in the Pacific, which was considerly larger than the 1980 Mt. Ste.
Helen evernt or even Mt. Vesuvius that buried Pompeii and Herculenea in
Italy. The "Year" happened in the summer of 1816 or 1817. Part of the switch
to potato crops was in direct response to the loss of the grain crops due to
that event. The temps continued to be lower for many years afterwards.
Switzerland was extremely affected. They had less farmland and a shorter
growing season even before the eruption occurred. Potato crops were not as
adversely affected, being a crop that grew underground, as above ground
grain crops.

A few points which I believe I have correct were mentioned about the potato
famine........
Germanic nations were not as affected, because they deversified their crops,
with the potato. I also believe they diversified the type of  potato they
grew.

French peasants were apalled by eating an underground crop, so their
dependance on the above ground grain crops led to widespread famine,
contributing in part to the French Revolution. It was also mentioned that
the monarchy actually promoted the potato, by example. However the French
people refused to accept it to survive.

As for the Irish, they relied heavily on one specific type of potato, which
grew easily and successfully in the poor Irish soil. Hence, when the potato
bligh arrived in Ireland, it quickly spread almost overnight across the
country, leaving a mushy and disintergrating tuber in the ground. This was
only the core of the problem. English rule in Ireland did much to force the
Irish to leave their homeland, by capitolizing on the famine situation. The
English were able to gain property and control in this way. Not to knock the
English, since my husband and I both have a very strong Britsh ancestry
across the Isles.

I know that my facts may be a little off, since I am going from memory.
However the general idea is correct. I found this extremely interesting,
since I have both German and Irish ancestors emigrating in the general time
frame of the potato famine.

One other idea I picked up on another show. There were some German villages
that actually had villagers draw lots to select families to emigrate.
Sometimes half the population of the village left. They were provided with
funds for their emigration in turn for the property they had to leave
behind. In essence, they were bought out. This was done to prevent entire
populations from dying of starvation.

I am still taking this all in and maybe some of the more learned lists
members can interject more accurate or additional information.

Hope this helps,   Tricia M.