[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Potato Famine

Carolyn Schott cgschott at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 4 12:52:13 PST 2006

Hmm, I doubt I qualify as a "more learned list member" - especially on the
topic of Irish history which I know little about (all my ancestors are
German).  BUT - I was traveling in Ireland this last fall and so learned
lots about Irish history.  A couple things to add to what Tricia mentioned
below...

One of the reasons the Irish were SO reliant on the potato for food is that
so many of them were peasants, working full-time for the English landowners.
Since they farmed full-time for the landowner (often absentee, living in
England), they relied almost completely on the potato for food since that
was a crop that they could plant and didn't require much tending, which they
couldn't do since they had to be working for the landowner.  Also, when the
famine DID hit, the absentee English landowners were very slow to respond
with any sort of relief or assistance.  No doubt partly for political
reasons.  Perhaps also because since they weren't in Ireland they weren't
able to see the full extent of the devastation...probably just wondered why
those pesky peasants weren't working and producing as much as normal!
(since they were starving to death....)

Also - a piece of trivia - To this day, the island of Ireland (Northern and
Republic combined) are not back to the same population level that they were
pre-Famine, there were so many losses both from starvation and emigration.
I thought that was rather amazing...especially because recently they've had
a huge immigration influx...from Poland!

Okay - I guess I've veered us totally off topic, haven't I?  Did that last
statement save me at all?  :-))))

Carolyn