[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Propaganda

Dave Obee daveobee at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 26 12:15:08 PST 2006

This thread has evolved somewhat, and we run the risk of running together
different bits of history.

The original comment had to do with the transfer of people from Russian
Poland to German Poland after the invasion of 1939. This transfer was part
of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. Documents to do with the transfer are in the
EWZ files. Many books about this event were published at the time in
Germany, and the generally celebrated (unjustifiably) what had taken place.
These books were part of the Nazi propaganda campaign, as I said a couple of
days ago.

After that came the great trek out of Russian Volhynia that started in late
1943. That movement came as the Wehrmacht was in retreat and the Reich was
collapsing. These people are also in the EWZ files. I have yet to find any
contemporary books on that trek, although certainly it has been mentioned in
several published in recent years.

When dealing with these two forced migrations, it is always important to
note the starting point and the time frame.

With the fall of Germany, countless horrors were visited upon the Germans,
especially those who found themselves in Soviet-occupied areas. Germans born
in Russia who were able to make it to French, British or American sectors
were still not safe, because the Russians wanted them back, and the Allies
were happy to co-operate. Again, it is difficult to find accurate references
to this in anything published at the time, but much has been written in more
recent years.

The Nazis used propaganda as part of the first forced migration of people.
They had little chance to do so with the 1943 trek, and obviously no chance
to do so after the end of the war. And in any event, any disinformation
about the post-war miseries inflicted on the Germans would have come from
the Russians, the Poles or the western Allies.

In general, I think there is still a reluctance to believe what happened to
the ethnic Germans after the war. Part of our challenge is to set the record
straight, or as straight as possible.

Dave Obee