[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] dialects as an indicator of area of origin is general

Nancy Gertner nancygertner at mac.com
Wed Feb 8 00:58:32 PST 2006

Verna:

The dialect may be an indicator of origin,  but the area indicated by
the dialect(s) could be very large, so that may not be very helpful
for pinning down the origin, especially if you want to get it to one
parish where you can look for church records.

Swabish could indicate that the area of origin is southern Germany.
Low German could be Plattdeutsch, from West Prussia or Posen Province.

According to Reuben Drefs, who has transcribed thousand of records of
land ownership from the census of 1772/3, many of the settlers to
Bessarabia and Volhynia moved from the Wongrowitz area of Posen.  One
of the early and large parishes in Wongrowitz was Schokken, which has
church records that go back to 1645.  I have looked at the Schokken
records, and have found a strong correlation in surnames found in
Schokken and Bessarabia and Volhynia.  Because my ancestors emigrated
from Posen Province to America in 1866, I have not personally found
any specific family correlations from Schokken to Bessarabia or
Volhynia.

I have personally found the land records transcribed by Reuben Drefs
to be an excellent tool for pinpointing the area of origin for my
ancestral families to the 1772/3 era. By doing surname searches at
the Odessa website suggested by Carolyn, I looked at the list of
"returns" when searching with "PRussia/Poland" and determined the
"most likely" area for my ancestors and ordered the microfilm for
this parish from LDS.  With this method, I scored a "bullseye" on my
first shots.  I was fortunate in that the surnames that I was
tracking were relatively "rare" and had a low number of "hits."

Of course, people moved around and didn't always stay put, and the
church established new parishes as the population grew, so I've also
found my ancestral family in church records of nearby parishes (from
the bullseye center) during the years before their immigration.

I think a more scientific way to pinpoint the origin of your
ancestral families is to use the surname method.  Your message
references the year 1907 and 1913, but not the endpoint years for the
fourth generation back, which is your endpoint that you are trying to
track beyond.  If you would specify the surnames you are tracking, I
could check my notes from Schokken records and my GEDCOM file and
tell you if I think your families might have origins to Schokken or
West Prussia, using the research I have done for those areas.

Through membership in a society or organization, you have perhaps
made contact with other researchers.  Because families typically
migrated together, the neighbors of your ancestors could also provide
clues of origin, along with the church records.  The death records of
the ancestral family members that died in Bessarabia and Volhynia are
the ones that might provide place of birth.

Nancy in Minnesota
Researching families:  Fischer (not rare!), Deutschmann, Gartner,
Grams, Hamann, Hannemann, Hochbaum, Jahnke, Jesse, Mallas,
Sonnenburg, Ziemer