[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Dialects

Dona Reeves-Marquardt dr03 at txstate.edu
Tue Feb 7 19:42:55 PST 2006

Hi Ron and all,
    Indeed there was a project loosely associated with AHSGR to record
people speaking German. Lew and I videotaped some 70 informants who were
willing to sit before a video camera, go through a brief list of words
which might reveal German dialect or coloration, and then tell something
about their impressions of growing up German-Russian. The tapes should
be stored at AHSGR headquarters in Lincoln. The idea was to preserve as
much German as we could before it disappears completely. I'm afraid,
however, it was not intended to determine the German "homeland" of the
speakers or of anyone else, since this is a risky business at best.
Jerry is quite correct: there has been too much mixing, levelling,
intermarrying and loss to ever hope to determine a primary, original
dialect. The most one can expect by listening to a speaker is to
separate a north German ("Plattdietsch") dialect from Rhine-Franconian
or Swabian, but these are broad sweeps and not totally accurate either.
Verna's one set of grandparents illustrate the problem perfectly--Low
German and Swabian couldn't be further apart geographically! And as I
have often asked, did a child learn to speak like the mother or like the
father? Foods and recipes are about as accurate, and you know how mixed
up that can get. But isn't it fun to know that your grandparents said
"Wassermelon" instead of "Arbuse" for example?
    Surely we must all mourn the loss of the German language among our
people, but it was never a good indicator of native origin, as many
distinguished linguists who have studied the problem have agreed. The
best we can do is just to describe their dialects scientifically, and
fortunately, much of that has been done as early as the 1920s.
    But it's good to hear from you again, Ron! And thank you Eleanor for
forwarding these messages to me.
Bestens,
Dona