[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] dialects

Carolyn Schott cgschott at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 8 21:16:17 PST 2006

I'd be cautious about this approach - especially using the dialects that
currently living (although older) family members speak.  I'll admit that my
ear for German is not finely attuned enough to differentiate the dialects (I
just know that they're not the Hoch Deutsch I learned in school!) - but I'm
told that my grandfather Schott definitely spoke the Schwaebisch
dialect...because that was what was common in Hoffnungstal, Bessarabia where
he grew up.

But I've traced my Schott family back to Germany using church records, and
the family came to Russia from the Rheinland-Pfalz area, and before that
were in Hessen...neither of which would typically speak Schwaebisch I
believe....  So if I'd tried to use dialect as an indicator, I would have
been led astray.

Carolyn

Message: 1