[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Polish Record Type ALEGATA

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Thu Feb 16 06:48:29 PST 2006

At 04:10 PM 15/02/2006, Michael & Maureen McHenry wrote:

>I came across this record type, alegata, in the Polish Archives. Can anyone
>tell me what it means? It's not in any of my standard references.
>                                         Mike

Alegata are legal announcements of upcoming marriage, along the lines
of "publishing the banns" at a church.  They usually contain as much
if not more family info than the actual marriage record.  It is
possible in some cases that the marriage did not proceed.

SGGEE, through Rose Ingram, has been instrumental in getting the LDS
to agree to microfilm these records, especially in regions where no
other records exist (e.g. Rawa Mazowiecka).  We don't know the status
of these projects but they are on the LDS to do list.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca