[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Translation , Please

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 16 15:48:14 PST 2006

A Russian friend of mine can't make anything out of this even trying to transliterate what the Cyrillic might have been. Probably your g-grandfather is the only who would have known what he meant by it.

Mike and Tana Laudolff <mlaudolff at charter.net> wrote:

Would anyone be able to suggest what the following could translate to : JOOA ROTH

These (assuming that my grandfather was able to read these letters correctly) were the two words engraved on his younger brother's grave marker. The little boy was only 4 years old, when he died in 1913. My great Grandfather (John August Doberstein) slected a long stone and hewed in into a tall arch. He spent many hours chiseling and engraving it into a grave marker for his little son, Edward.

My grandfather (John Doberstein) had thought that it might be Russian, as the family lived in Volhynia for a time period, having came from the Sompolno area. Though the family was of German descent.

If anyone would be interested in making a suggestion, I would welcome them. As this has been a mystery for all of us as to what this would translate into. Thank you!
Tana Laudolff