[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Fw: Re: Executed in Zhitomir 1938

Sig Matt sig.matt at juno.com
Thu Feb 23 23:17:31 PST 2006

        A book report,

In a Nov. 3-05 mailing Richard Benert mentioned Kate Brown's book:
"A Biography of No Place: From Ethnic Borderland to Soviet Heartland",
(Harvard U. Press, 2004)
I've just finished reading it. Our local Library obtained it through the
Library
Exchange program.
I found it to be a treasure-trove of information and do highly recommend
it to
anyone interested in Volhynia in the period between the two WWars. It is
well
documented. My cousin Bernhard's story, (who survived 10 years of Gulag,
1942-1952, in central Siberia and the Magadan Peninsula) confirms what is

detailed in this book.
Also our family's 3 years of purgatory, (say, experience in the 'Workers
Paradise') in East Prussia 1945-1947) confirms the incredible results of
such misguided policies.

Richard, thank you for that valuable hint.

Siegfried Matt