[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Neuman ship record

Ron Neuman ron at neuman.ca
Fri Feb 24 16:25:21 PST 2006

Thank you once again John.  I had spotted that information
previously, but until the discovery of the possible location of
Denyse near Zhitomir, I wasn't paying too much attention to this record.

It is interesting that this birth of Rosalia is the only record that
I can find for the birth/baptism of a child of Johann Neumann/Louise
Berkand in the Volhynia records.

The family of Johann/Louise Neumann that I am researching had three
younger children (Christina, Erdmann and Mathilda), and they all
appear to have been born 1886 or later, so I cannot check for them in
Volhynian records.  I have not found the older children of
Johann/Louise Neumann in the Volhynia records, so if Johann Neumann
and Louise Berkand are the family that I am looking for, I suspect
that the older children may have been born in Poland prior to the
family moving to Volhynia.

These older children were:
Christian (listed on the ships passenger list and the 1901/1906
Census of Canada) - born about 1878
Ludwig (listed in the 1906/1911 census) - likely born in the late 1870's
Frederick (found on a different ships passenger with his sister,
Christina; and 1906/1911 census) - born about 1869 and died in 1970 at age 101
Annie and Amelia - both appear to be older than Rosalia and were
listed on the 1922 Probate Record for John Neumann as "daughter
living in Russia".

Any thoughts as to a possible location for Johann/Louise in Poland
would be appreciated.

One obvious place to look for birth information would be in church
records in Canada, but we will rule that one out for now, because all
of the Lutheran families in the farm area southeast of Edmonton
attended the Ellerslie (St. Paul's) Lutheran Church, and the original
church burned to the ground in the 1930's with all records prior to
that time being lost.