[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Christmas Memories

Bill Fife wmfife at telus.net
Tue Jan 3 10:05:10 PST 2006

Hi Virginia,

You mention how important geese were to our ancestors.  My Grandmother, who
came to Canada from Volhynia, always had a flock of geese on their little
farm here.  These 'guard dogs' would let you know when anyone came on the
property.  Not only were they noisy, they seemed to know those that were
afraid of them and would chase them.  This included my non German wife who
was afraid of the geese and would make me chase them away before she would
get out of the car.

Grandmother made down covers for all her beds from the goose down and
chicken down she collected each time grandfather killed a goose or chicken.
She made a down feather pillow for each of her 15 grandchildren when they
were young.  I slept on mine for close to 50 years before I had to replace
it.

There is little doubt that geese, and chickens, were an important part of
the life of these people.  I do not recall grandfather fattening a goose
before he butchered it for the table.  Geese contain a lot of fat and
perhaps this is why.  I know that whenever a special occasion was coming in
which chicken was to be served, grandfather would put a hen or two in a
raised wire cage.  This was to keep them off the ground and away from the
grass.  They would be feed only grain for a period of time and this would
fatten them nicely for the table.

Bill