[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Christmas Traditions

Kerstin Petersen kerstin.petersen at mail.dk
Tue Jan 10 09:57:34 PST 2006

Hello,

I do not know how the traditions were in Volhynia, but when we celebrated Christmas at my grandparents who came from Volhynia 1914 we did it the traditional german way I thnik.

We gathered on the 24:th to a  family Dinner in the evening. We had mostly goose. After dinner we danced around the christmas tree (spruce) and then it was time for the christmas presents. After we all had received the present we sang christmas songs like "Tannebaum", "Stille Nacht heillige Nacht".

On the 25 or 26 or both days you saw  the rest of the family you have not met on christmas eve.

Regards
Kerstin Petersen
Denmark