[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] shepherds in central Poland

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Thu Jan 12 05:07:22 PST 2006

    I have found several instances in the Polish Lodz Trinity records where the occupation of an individual was given as shepherd.
    I have even found one instance where the man's occupation was given as an executioner's apprentice.  That was not in the Lodz Trinity records however.

John Marsch

  I thought it was a curious occupation also, but I got this from:
  In Their Words - A Genealogist's Guide Translation Guide to Polish
  Documents - which lists the following:

  owczarz, owczarza: (m.) shepherd, sheepfarmer (fem. owczarka, owczarki)

  'Owczarz' or 'owczarza' is in several records describing one of these
  three Kopp men. In some, the handwriting is very clear.

  Sue