[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] [BESS-GR] SOAR online from AHSGR now available

Ron Neuman ron at neuman.ca
Mon Jan 16 18:11:39 PST 2006

I believe that some further information is in order with respect to
these obituary files.  There are quite a number of obituaries from
the Edmonton Journal included here from the period of the late 1960's
to about 1992.  I was actively involved with the Edmonton Chapter of
the AHSGR during most of that period, and the Edmonton Chapter
contributed extensively to the AHSGR Obituary Project.

The work for the Edmonton Chapter was done ENTIRELY by a fine lady
named Martha Burgess (who coincidentally happens to be my second
cousin).  Martha clipped ALL obituaries from the Edmonton Journal for
people with German surnames, and recorded/sent them to the AHSGR
Headquarters in Lincoln, NE.  She stopped doing it in 1992 as she was
finding the work to be a bit too demanding for her.

Martha (Bulhofner) Burgess was born on April 18, 1906 and will be
celebrating her 100th birthday four months from now.  She remains
active with the Family History Center in Edmonton (LDS), and can
still be found working at one of the research computers at the FHC at
the Bonnie Doon LDS Church every Tuesday morning.  She works with a
computer named "Martha" which she donated to the FHC.  Martha "fanned
the flames" of genealogy with me in the early 1970's, and I will
always be indebted to her for getting me started in this wonderful hobby.

Martha and I are related through our Arndt ancestors from the
Sompolno Lutheran Parish in Poland.  Her grandmother, Karolina
(Arndt) Ehlke (first husband)/Fielhaber (second husband) and my
grandmother, Wilhelmina (Arndt) and her husband Wilhelm Neumann, came
to the Edmonton area from Poland in 1901 with their families.