[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Schattschneider

Nelson Itterman colnels at telus.net
Thu Jun 1 15:32:09 PDT 2006

Hi Robert & Gary:
My dictionary of German Names by Hans Bahlow says for Schattschneider see
Schachtschneider, so Gary is on the right track. They say the meaning is
Schacht (shaft) for Schachtschneider (shaft cutter), who cuts the schafts
for spears and lances. In Hamburg 1286  Hermann Schacht. Corrupted to
Schattschneider in Hamburg as early as 1262. It also says schachtgreber is a
shaft digger.
Nelson