[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Schattschneider

gpvjem gpvjem at sasktel.net
Thu Jun 1 15:41:53 PDT 2006

    According to Hans Bahlow's dictionary of German names, Schachtschneider means "one who cuts shafts" as in spear spears and lances.

John Marsch

  Robert,

  My cousin's mother was a Schachtschneider.    He claims that the
  Polish equivalent was Cholowinska.    I have a Polish friend who
  cannot verify this, but she did say that the root word cholo means
  head, as in the working face of a mine shaft.    My understanding is
  that Schachtschneider means pit cutter, I assume as in a person who
  digs in a mine, so they may really be equivalents.

  Gary Warner