[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Schattschneider

Heinz Rode heinz_rode at telus.net
Thu Jun 1 19:30:27 PDT 2006

Hi listers,

What's in a name?

Excuse me if I differ re. the "Schachtschneider", the word is a combination of
"Schacht" as in miningshaft, manhole; and " Schneider" a cutter, also a tailor.

A spear maker would fashion a " Schaft"; I would rather call him or her :-)
a " Schaftdreher".

A " Schat(ten)schneider would be one who fashions a silhouette from black paper.

Ah the nuances of a language, make a spelling mistake.............and what's in a
name?

Greetings, Heinz Rode

Message -----