[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Immigration from Canada to USA

JMPerl47 at aol.com JMPerl47 at aol.com
Mon Jun 26 09:06:37 PDT 2006

In a message dated 6/26/2006 10:44:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
maurmike1 at verizon.net writes:

I have  been trying to find my grand mother in the immigration  databases
ellisisland.org, ancestry.com etc for several years with no  success. I have
done the searches using soundex and wild cards. What I do  know is she, age
19, married my grand father on January 1, 1903 in Bristol,  CT and had her
first child on January 17, 1904 in Bristol. She returned to  Russian Poland
in 1905 and came back to Connecticut in 1906 this time to  New Haven, CT. On
the manifest she says she was in Bristol, CT from 1902 to  1905 in answer to
the question were you ever in the USA. She died in  1918(influenza) hence I
only have her in the US federal census of 1910 with  no date. Does anyone
think it's possible or knows of first immigration to  Canada and then
Connecticut USA? Her maiden name was Auguste  Manzei.

OK, this might be a stretch but I've learned that sometimes the wildest
ideas work out so I never say never and you can be the one to figure out if this
is worth pursuing.

I did a search (Heritage Quest) on Auguste with  birthplace Poland in the
1900 census and this came up:

    ADAMSKI  AUGUSTE  17  F  W  POLA  NY  KINGS  30-WD BROOKLYN BORO  1900

It indicates her birth as June 1883 and that she immigrated  (from Poland
with Russia written after it) in 1899. She was a servant  in the Charles Weiner
household. I realize Adamski and Manzei are very different  names but since she
was a servant in a German household, perhaps they mangled  her name when the
census taker was there. I've seen some humdinger spellings as  I've done
research so this could be another example of it.

But if the June 1883 birth is close, you might want to dig a little further
into it. An idea is to see if there were any Werners in Bristol, CT when she
married there. It's possible they moved to CT and took her with them.

I got this from Heritage Quest and will send the image as an attachment in  a
separate email just to you.

Good luck!

JO