[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Church Records of Latter Day Saints

Nancy Gertner nancygertner at mac.com
Tue Jun 27 10:30:58 PDT 2006

I also have found errors in LDS records, but think this first
statement is a little too general, so that it may be misleading.

The LDS Church has a repository of records unparalleled by anyone else.

The accessibility is facilitated worldwide via their branch Family
History Centers.

The records that may be most prone to the errors Jennifer mentioned
are the ancestry records that were submitted by a church member to
fulfill a requirement to document their genealogy.

In fulfilling this 'homework' assignment and perhaps meeting a
deadline, errors are perpetuated.

These are Secondary Records if they are not the actual records
(Primary Records) that documented the event, like the church record
of a baptism or death or funeral or marriage.  Researchers should
always question the accuracy of Secondary Records.  Especially if
they don't cite any reference for the data.

An example of errors that I found for my ancestors were stating that
the birthplaces of my immigrant great-grandparents was the same as
their place of death.  This shows them born in Minnesota in the 1840s
and 1850s, before statehood and before it was even a territory, and
the prairie where they homesteaded in the 1870s was was probably
populated only by Bison and other native species.

Nancy