[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Church Records of Latter Day Saints

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Tue Jun 27 11:05:54 PDT 2006

Jennifer,

This is not the place to have a religious discussion, but suffice it
to say that you are dead wrong on just about everything you say in your email.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons) does
not have its OWN records of anyone on line.   What they have instead
at www.familyseach.org is data submitted by many people, and people
being what they are, there are indeed many errors in the
submittals.    The question is, would you rather have no data to look
at, or data that sometimes has errors in it.

The Family History Library (FHL) used to try to ensure the accuracy
of the submittals many years ago, but found that many people never
made any submittals of any family history data, simply because they
could not adequately document what they had to submit to meet the FHL
standard of submittal.    When the FHL relaxed its submittal
standards, that is when errors were made by people with good
intentions.  These people sometimes had little more than family
stories to go on.    Even with just family stories, however, there is
often a lot of truth mixed with fiction, so if the person who is
looking at the data is knowledgeable and can discern the truth from
the fiction, there is still much to be gained by having the flawed data.

Even in original records, the pastor making the record sometimes made
mistakes, some of them small, some of them very significant.    What
all of us need to do is not rely on just one source for information,
but keep an open mind about how a name or place is spelled, or even
who was the father or child of someone else.      If all data was
reliable, then we would indeed be more successful in our quest to
find information on our ancestors.     The quality of the mystery,
and the joy of discovery would, however, would be greatly diminished.

Gary Warner
SGGEE