[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Father's Birthplace

Edmund Greenwald egreenwald at cinci.rr.com
Thu Mar 2 19:04:05 PST 2006

I recently obtained a copy of my father's World War I draft registration. The location listed on all my father's citizenship papers as "last foreign residence" is Volinia, Russia. On the question, where were you born, the draft registration shows Clasnenoff, Wollin, Russia. My father was not educated and did not personally fill in the draft registration. My father came to the United States in 1912 and the draft registration was 1917. Whoever helped him did the best he could based on what my father told him.

Does anyone recognize the location, "Clasnenoff"? I realize it is not correctly spelled.

I would appreciate any help from the List.

Ed Greenwald