[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Place Names

PnSWork at aol.com PnSWork at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 17:25:44 PST 2006

Hi Chris,

>  Was there a place in Volhynia called Wloclawek? I know there  is
> one in Poland, but I saw some Ellis Island entries with  Wloclawek,
> Russia listed as place of origin for some possible German  ancestors.
> Wondering about same for Wolka, Russia?

To my knowledge, there is no Wloclawek in Volhynia.  However,  you
should remember that prior to 1917 (and after 1815), most of the area
that we refer to as Poland belonged to Russia.  All entries for  towns
in old Poland listed Russia as the country.  Thus, entries that  listed
Plock and Lodz as the home town would also have Russia as the
country.  So your entries for Wloclawek, Russia are probably  referring
to Wloclawek, Poland if the entries were for the time period prior to
1917.  The same thing would apply to Wolka.  If the entry was  made
prior to 1917, Poland is a viable location for that town.  Good  luck!

    -Paul

Paul R Work