[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Age at death written in Latin

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Mon Mar 6 02:05:48 PST 2006

Rose Ingram schrieb:

>I have been looking at some early 1800 Catholic death records written in
>Latin.
>
>The age at death for two children is given as "semi duae annos (or annus)"
>I suspect they mean 1/2 year.  Any have other thoughts or suggestions.

Rose,
hard to translate because it is definitely wrong Latin.
"Semi" doesn't exist as a single word but just as a prefix.
"Duae annos" doesn't exist either (duae = singular; annos = plural) but
"duos annos" instead.
Of two years = duorum annorum
Of two and a half years = duorum annorum [et] semestri = duorum annorum
[et] mensium sex.

But most probably he wanted to express "of two and a half years".

Guenther