[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Marcinkowski from Yellowits, Volhynia, Russia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Mar 8 05:01:16 PST 2006

At 01:33 AM 08/03/2006, Gerrie Foster wrote:
>Hello:
>
>I am new to this I am searching for information on my
>Grandmother  Maria Elizabeth Marcinkowski and her father August
>Marcinkowski.  I have a copy of her citizenship paper which states
>she was born  25 February 1899 in  Yellowits, Volhynia, Russia.
>
>I know that they arrived in Canada September 16, 1913 on the  SS
>Pisa  ( Depart: Hamburg   29 August, 1913  /Arrive: Quebec  16 September, 1913)
>
>I seem to be at a dead end at this point as I  have not been able to
>find anything on Yellowits, Volhynia, Russia.
>
>Gerrie Foster

Yellowits is clearly a misspelling.  However, the sound of Yello /
Yella etc. is often applied to place names that contain
Elizabeth.  For example, Elizabethort in Volhynia is also known as
Jelissawetinka.  One source suggests Elizabethpol in Volhynia is
alternately spelled Jelisawetpol.  (The J has a Y sound.)

The St. Petersburg records show a Marcinkowski family living at
Elisabethpol.  My best guess is that this is the place you are looking for.

In case you didn't know it, Marcin = Martin as the c in Polish
carries a t or tz sound.  You may want to watch for that as a variant spelling.

And finally, I note that there is also another Marcinkowski family at
Klein Gluscha.  With a Polish sounding name like that, and with that
location, there is a good chance that this family has Mazurian
origins (see the most recent issue of the SGGEE Journal).

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca