[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Life in Volhynia-Russian Poland

Ted Belke belketb at telus.net
Fri Mar 17 21:36:48 PST 2006

Hi

I do not know what the situation was in Volhynia but during the period 1890
to 1930 when my family were living in Lublin - Chelm region of Polish Russia
ownership of firearms was forbidden. Nevertheless my Uncle Julius did have
one which he used for poaching small game. This was done at night in the
Gutsbesitzer's forest while the gamekeeper was in bed. This was in 1918 &
1919 when many people were starving after they returned to their destroyed
homes, fields and orchards from Russia, Kazakistan, Siberia and other points
East where they had been exiled during WW I. This was the justification for
taking the risks involved with gun ownership. As is the case with all
secrets this one leaked out and the farm was searched several times by the
police. It was hidden in a hollowed out column in the barn and never found.
My father, who was the 'man of the house' at the time, finally insisted that
Adolf must turn the gun in because if it ever was found there would be
serious consequences and the whole family would be in danger. As it turned
out the gun was taken to the police and Uncle Adolf was kept in custody for
only a short time and no other penalties were assessed.

It was told that fresh water fish were readily available. In the spring,
when creeks flooded pastures and the excavations were peat had been
harvested, coarse fish similar to our Turbot, Suckers and Eels were easily
netted and trapped in the shallow water. Apparently lots of fun for all the
young kids.

Ted Belke