[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Censuses in Russian Poland?

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Mon Mar 27 11:00:20 PST 2006

> Subject: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Censuses in Russian Poland?

     The Russian census of 1897 was taken when punched cards were
  cutting-edge technology, and the Russian census people went wild
  cross tabulating all sorts of statistical data, (the number of
  men/women in each province whose first language was not Russian and
  who are employed in the textile industry, and similar stuff).

      The Russian Central Statistical Committee produced 89 volumes
  of analysis between 1899 and 1905, useful for historians or
  sociologists, but not so useful for genealogy. It seems that most of
  the returns were destroyed after they were analysed, but a few percent
  survive in provincial archives. I haven't heard of anyone actually
  finding an ancestor in this census (but I'd love to be proved wrong!)

              Paul Rakow
              rakow at ifh.de