[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Russian or Polish

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 28 18:45:00 PST 2006

Your answer depends on what you are referring to - their home town becoming Polish vs Russian or the experience of returning after the war?

  First off I can say they did well to make it to East Prussia. Had they remained where they lived they would have been deported towards Siberia. Most of the elderly and weaker ones died out there. No telling which of your relatives would have ever survived the ordeals.

  About returning to their home which was now Poland they probably found everything in ruins. This of course was not a positive experience. But they had the advantage that is was now Poland. Being on the Polish side of the border had big implications. Who would have wanted to go through the atrocities that were occuring in communist Russia, eventually to face the Stalin regime. EWZ shows a big contrast between the Germans experiences when you compare those who lived relatively peacefully in Polish Volhynia versus those in Russian Volhynia. I have yet to see a family from Russian Volhynia that avoided having a family member from being "verschleppt".

Robert Norenberg <robertnorenberg at yahoo.ca> wrote:
  Hello My family fled from Russian Volhynia at the
onset of World War 1 and went to East Prussia. They
returned to their homes after the war was over and
this was now Polish Volhynia. Was this a positive
experience for these people?
Which would have been more agreeable to them? Or was
it basically "six of one,half a dozen of the other"?
Thanks
Robert Norenberg