[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Researching Beyond the Family Tree

Lorne Bohn lbohn at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 31 16:14:51 PST 2006

Greetings.

Many of us have been able to research individual family  back only so far and are curious as to what area those decendants came from.  I have been reading an article in the July 11/2005 issue of Time Magazine (pg. 32) which featured a report on using DNA to determine (aparently quite accurately) where families come from.

There are a number of companies which will do this research for you.  Prices seem to range from around $95 to about $399 depending on the information and region.   Searches can be done on mitocondrial DNA (mother's side), Y-DNA (father's side) and autosomal which looks for genetic markers on all chromosomes and determines a location.  Web sites are listed below.

There are also some DNA databanks that one can access for free to contact other individuals who have the same DNA.  This opens a very interesting opportunity to combine research with other individuals to fill in family trees.

http://www.ysearch.org/
http://www.ybase.org/

Interesting stuff!  I thought I'd pass it along and I would appreciate it if anyone would let me know if they have had any experience in this area or if they know more about it?  Please cantact lbohn at shaw.ca

Best regards to the group,

Lorne Bohn
(Canada)

http://www.dnaprint.com/welcome/productsandservices/index2.php

http://www.familytreedna.com/

https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/

http://www.relativegenetics.com/relativegenetics/index.jsp

You can forget what people say.
You can forgive what people do
but you NEVER forget how people make you feel.