[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Volhynia - Pastor Peter Stelz

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue May 2 05:50:28 PDT 2006

At 11:18 AM 01/05/2006, Christopher Menke wrote:
>Hello All,
>   I am truly amazed at this guy! In almost all of the records for
> Volhynia I am looking at, Pastor Peter Stelz was the Pastor. He
> must have been EXTREMELY busy. Does anyone have any information
> about him, his work, or his churches?
>   Thanks,
>   Chris Menke

You will find general info (not a lot of detail) about the Volhynian
Lutheran churches at
http://www.sggee.org/parish_histories/VolhyniaDioceseHistory.html

If you follow how the individual parishes evolved, you will see that
pastors prior to Stelz had an even bigger territory to cover.  Keep
in mind that the pastors were assisted immensely by local
Kantors.  The local Kantor, often a school teacher, would lead
regular worship services in the Betshaus.  He would perform baptisms
and conduct funeral services.  The pastor would travel a circuit
several times a year.  During his stay of a few days, he would
perform marriages, serve communion, and conduct the confirmation
rite.  If you look at marriage records, you will see how there were
often numerous marriages performed on a single day.  The pastor would
also transfer records from the Kantor books into his Parish book and
then again into the Consistory book.  It is the latter which we know
as the St. Petersburg records.  In the case of the baptism, you will
usually find the name of the Kantor who performed the baptism in one
of the columns.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca