[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Migrations of people--Germans to Volhynia, EWZ, Warthe Gau

Sig Matt sig.matt at juno.com
Wed May 3 21:06:07 PDT 2006

To any of you who are researching the subject and area covered in Karl
Krueger's
and Nelson Itterman's message I would highly recommend reading an article
that
was published in the Journal of the American Historical Society of
Germans
from Russia,  AHSGR, Spring 2005 and Summer 2005 issues.
The Title is: "From Puppets of Stalin to Pawns of Hitler & Back Again:
Experiences of Soviet Citizens of German Ethnicity During & After the
Second World War"
By Stephanie Hoffman

I find it a well researched and well presented comprehensive report on
the fate
of our cousins in that area in much of the 20th Century.
The Journals are available at the AHSGR Lincoln, NE Headquarters
at $4:50 per copy plus $7:00 shipping for the first three for nonmembers.
(You'll want both issues, the Spring 2005 plus the Summer 2005 copies.
The article is published in two parts.)
The AHSGR address:
ahsgr at ahsgr.org

For another relative, interesting, tragic report about refugees in that
time period
read the American National Geographic Magazine, Feb. 2005 issue,
page 32 "Tales from a Nazi Ghost Ship", Feb. 10, 1945,  4500 people drown
(in the icy waters of the Baltic sea).

Sig Matt
sig.matt at juno.com