[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Krantzcke - Bahn (Banie) Pomerania

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Fri May 5 11:36:04 PDT 2006

  Hilary,

     There are quite a few surviving records from the town Bahn stored
 in the State Archive in Szczecin/Stettin. Since your gg grandfather was
 a tailor, the first place to try would be records from the tailors'
 guild in Bahn. The archives have 8 items from the tailor's guild in the
 years 1667 - 1922, including Meister und Lehrlingsbuecher, and some older
 material from the guild in the period 1501-1636.

      There's also a fair amount of surviving records from the town-hall
 in Bahn, (261 items from Magistrat Bahn); and also land and property
 records from the Katasteramt in Greifenhagen, which was responsible for
 land tax, buildings tax, property transfers etc in Bahn. The Krantzkes
 sound like they may have been prosperous enough to show up in those files.

      So a trip to Szczecin might pay off.

      The pommern-l list at genealogy.net might be a good place to
 look for help and information.

      Do you live in England?  I've only come across one or two people
 with Pomeranian roots here.

              Paul Rakow
              (50% Pomeranian, 50% Volhynian)
              Liverpool