[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] GARY WARNER-Need some help with surnames starting with O

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sat May 6 21:44:45 PDT 2006

Evening gary,
No.  It is not the same.
O'Sullivan is the surname Sullivan with a Gaelic 'O' prefix.
O'Sullivan = descendant of Sullivan

Öhl = Oil    Oehl and Oel = Oil  (present day Öl and Öler)
Sounds like 'Ehler'   (the 'h' (O'h'ler) may be older form of spelling.
(the root word Öhl would need more research... just in case)

The suffix 'er' added to Öhl-er  states what one does.  = Oil-er
(manufactures it?)

'e' after O indicates an umlaut O.

Oel-ike ?  Sounds like 'Ehlike' (almost but not quite)
(umlaut O sounds like the beginning of 'ai-r'-German E sounds like
English long 'A'.

Oehl-ke   Sounds like "Ehlke   ('ke' is a diminutive suffix-little,
son of)

Oeher and Eher appears to be a definite misspelling.
(unless the root word is 'Ehe', as in Ehefrau.(wife)