[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] GARY WARNER-Need some help with surnames starting with O

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Sun May 7 17:09:19 PDT 2006

Otto and Paul and Anegret and Dave,

Thanks for the responses from each of you.

It seems that the biggest problem is that I do
not speak German.   I had previously learned to
look for words that have "oe" or "ö" and know
that sometimes the same word will have just an
"o" or just an "e" in its place.    What I failed
to recognize, however, is that a word could even
begin with a vowel with an umlaut over it.    Now
that I understand that is possible the names I cited make sense to me.

Thanks to all of you.

One last thing, since I have this cast of experts
at hand.   Please, it you would, tell me and the
rest of the list, the proper way to say words
that include an ä,ö,ü, and ß.    I am interested
to know if they sound the same in all German
words (assuming the same dialect).   I am also
interested in how the sounds differ in the two
most common German dialects, which not knowing
any better I assume are high and low
German.    Since you all know how to make those
sounds, the biggest challenge might be in using a
word to describe each sound that I can already say in English.

Just to keep the responses from repeating
themselves, I assume that Otto will answer first
and that the rest of you will only respond if
there is anything additional to add.

Gary Warner