[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] GARY WARNER-Umlauts and Dialects

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sun May 7 20:24:30 PDT 2006

Gary Warner asked:
"  I am interested to know if they sound the same in all German words
(assuming the same dialect).   I am also interested in how the sounds
differ in the two most common German dialects, which not knowing any
better I assume are high and low German."
----------------------
As mentioned before, There are many dialects of Flatland German, same
for Middle German and highland German. Many.

The "proper umlaut sound" is about Standardized German.

There are rules that dictate the use of umlauts, the sounding of a
vowel at the front of the tongue instead of the back of the tongue.
The 'method' of sounding out a 'front of the tongue' vowel creates a
conflict between the precise speakers of standardized German and the
speakers of German dialects.

The conflict is a simple one.
Precise speakers of standardized German purse their lips in sounding
out an umlaut.

Speakers of dialects usually do not purse their lips and speak out
the umlaut sound directly.

Try it-
Sound out the English long 'E' two or three times as you would
speaking  English.  (same as Platt)
Now sound out the same English long 'E' two or three times with
pursed lips. (the 'standardized' German sound)
That is it!

I know.
My Dortmund cousin browbeat me for years because I would speak out
the umlauts without pursing the lips.  I'd learned from my parents a
1920's high German with an East Prussian dialect twang. (and some
really neat Polish and Russian cuss words)  Couple that with an
American creative English and you see I am doomed when it comes to
lip pursing. I am hopeless. . .  yet I communicate.

While in Berlin I attempted conversation with a river boat captain.
He replied with a solid paragraph or so of speech. I was awed. I did
not understand it. I asked cousin Peter what language does he speak?
He answered, "German. . .  in a solid Berliner dialect."  On the
Mosel I purchased zwei Flaschen Wein, they brought me zwo Flaschen
Wein.   Standardized German is what one reads in a book.

Two things must be kept in mind, in reality, there is no such thing
as a pure race or a pure language.
It is the use of language itself that makes us human.

. . .  Otto

                      " The Zen moment..." wk. of March 5, 2006
                         "Remove what isn't... What is remains."