[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] GARY WARNER - UMLAUT in ENGLISH

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Mon May 8 08:50:19 PDT 2006

Otto,

Thanks for the education.

The ü I find most interesting, and I can now see
how the name Krüger becomes Kryger.   Looks like
I have been saying Karl Krueger's name wrong for
a long time.    I wonder how he says it?   Karl, are you there??

 From Annegret's earlier email, however, it
sounds like the ö has varying sounds, depending
on the dialect spoken.    The König surname is
one of mine, and the differences seem to explain
why no matter if I say K-ay-nig or K-e(short
e)-nig, someone tells me I said it wrong.

I guess the only way to learn to say the letters
correctly is to do it in public often and have
people beat you with a stick when you do it wrong.

Gary