[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] GARY WARNER-Umlauts and Dialects

Annegret Krause krause.annegret at t-online.de
Mon May 8 12:29:08 PDT 2006

It's not so easy for me to explain the pronunciation of German vowels,
because my English is not so good ;-)), but I'll try it:

A-Umlaut (ä) sounds like ea in "meadow", or e in "best", in some words a
little bit longer

O-Umlaut (ö) sounds like colonel, the name Möller for example. George
Shoning is right.
But there is another, a longer form. You have to speak it with more
pursed lips. This form you hear in König

And the best explanation for U-Umlaut (ü): long E with pursed lips
(Krüger). But there is also a shorter form (Müller) without an English
equivalent. Try it!!

Annegret