[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Birth record translation

Karl Krueger dabookk54 at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 07:25:35 PDT 2006

A good online resource for translating between German and English is Leo.
  http://dict.leo.org/
  You can only do a word at a time. I find this site works great as a thesaurus as well giving me alternative words I might want when composing something in English. Of course it was not intended to be a thesaurus but many words can take slightly different meanings in interconverting between German and English.

Jerry Frank <FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca> wrote:
  I haven't seen a public response to your question so here it is.

At 03:15 PM 08/05/2006, Wendy Otness wrote:
>Hi All!
>Everyone was so helpful with my previous request for some word
>translations, that I am going to ask for a "fluent" translation of the
>headings from my great-grandmother's birth registration. I know the
>basic gist of the headings, but would like a better version to send on
>to my brother and cousin, who speak no German.
>
>"Nummer,

Number

>Taufname des Kindes,

Baptismal name of the child

>Tauf- und Familiennamen und Confession
>der Aeltern.

Baptismal and surnames and confession (faith, religion) of the parents.

>Stand Rang und Gewerbe des Vaters, oder der Mutter oder
>desjenigen, der das Kind zur Taufe vorgestrellt hat,

Position and occupation of father (clarification - usually an
occupation but also sometimes generically listed as colonist or
townsman; could also be a soldier's rank, etc.) or the mother or
whoever brought the child for baptism

>Name des Predigers, von dem die Taufe und des Orts, wo sie vollzogen ist.

Name of the pastor, the place names where the baptized lived and
where the baptism took place

>Tauf- und
>Familiennamen, Stand, Rang oder Gewerbe der Pathen.

Baptismal, surname, position and occupation of the godparents.

>After this, and under other headings on this registration, there are
>numerals preceeded by what looks like 2 capital "S"s but layered on each
>other. Can anyone tell me what that might mean?

Not sure without seeing it. Some records have columns indicating
male or female, still births, illegitimate births, etc.

>Thanks again in advance,
>Wendy

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca