[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Surname-Less and usage of "VON' before a surname

GVLESS at aol.com GVLESS at aol.com
Fri May 12 10:29:16 PDT 2006

The response from Otto, Reiner and Gary Warner has been most  appreciated.
It helps one that is not knowledgeable of the German language  to better
understand the usage of certain letters in one's name.  I can  certainly see how the
name of LESS as used today in America came about because  of the
pronunciation by German-speaking immigrants.  Thanks for giving the  details on the umlaut
as well.

I did ask about the usage of the "von" in front of surnames and wondered if
anyone can give me a reason for this.  Otto mentions the name of Marlene
Dietrich as her having the original name of "von Losch"  I also found in my
research of the Bergstraesser name (the "a" has an umlaut above it) of a family
using the name even today as "von Bergstraesser" and I now recall even a member
of my husband's family, husband of his sister, as having the last name of
"von  Hagel" (though I think they spelled it as one word today - Vonhagel).  Was
this a title or what?  The vonBergstraesser family lived in the Baltic  areas
and then in St. Petersburg at the turn of the 19th into 20th century with
the g-grandfather (of a living relative today) being a Russian Admiral in the
Czar's Navy.  So - was the "title" then bestowed on he and his family  because
of this position??

Again, thanks for all sharing what they know when one like me posts a query
on this listserv.  The responses are much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Virginia Less