[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Birth record translation

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Fri May 12 13:26:54 PDT 2006

 Wendy,

   Jerry answered most of this, so I'll just answer the bit about the
 funny symbol that looks like 2 S's .

    This sounds like the German paragraph sign, §
 Instead of writing "Paragraph 7 of the law about .... " German lawyers
 abbreviate it to §7 .

 In case this doesn't transmit by e-mail, you can find the symbol on the
 web-page
 http://dejure.org/gesetze/StGB
 which lists all the possible crimes in Germany, from insulting the
 president (§90) to misuse of a nuclear weapon (§307).

    If this is the symbol you mean, then what you see in this church book
 is probably a reference to the paragraph in the regulations that explains
 exactly what should be put in that coloumn.

         Paul Rakow
         rakow at ifh.de