[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Bible

shoning at att.net shoning at att.net
Sun May 14 07:12:32 PDT 2006

I hope that you will not be too disappointed, but the text is more or less a current version of the German bible that is available most likely in any store selling bibles.  I have one that was published by the German Bible Society in 1984.  It has the title, "The Bible - according to the translation of Martin Luther".  In the Foreword, it states that the text has been revised and reworked from Luther's translation.  In German Bibles, the Pentatuch is comprised of the 1. Book of Moses (Genesis), the 2. Book of Moses (Exodus), the 3. Book of Moses (Leviticus), the 4. Book of Moses (Numbers), and the 5. Book of Moses (Deuteronomy).

Having said all that, I am sure that your Bible has great value to you because it belonged to your gr grandfather, it is quite old, and perhaps has markings and notes made by him and some ancestors of succeeding generations.  It is a treasure.  I have a Russian New Testament that has markings made by my father while in prison and living in Russia.  When I look at it, I wonder why were some verses of such importance to him that he underlined them and marked them for emphasis.

George Shoning

-------------- Original message from Delores Stevens <deloresstevens at sasktel.net>: --------------