[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] godparents for baptisms

Nancy Gertner nancygertner at mac.com
Tue May 30 11:32:46 PDT 2006

I believe the godparents were usually the aunts and uncles of the
infant, with their spouses.

I've also seen the grandparents listed, perhaps most frequently for
the couple's first child.

I believe cousins, friends and neighbors also served as godparents.

In my ancestral family, the godparents of one infant became the
baby's parents-in-law about 20 years after the baptism.

My observations are based mainly from records of Schokken Lutheran
Parish in Kreis Wongrowitz, Posen, timeframe mainly from 1800-1866.

Nancy