[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] godparents and witnesses to baptisms

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue May 30 11:54:24 PDT 2006

Having looked at many different records because of extractions, I am not convinced there there is enough consistency among the practices to allow for generalized conclusions.

I have seen families who used relatives.  They even used future relatives.  e.g.  You find that a single godmother, perhaps a sister, paired up with a single godfather and  later you find them married to each other.  Other families only used friends.

The same applies to witnesses of the birth registration.  Such witnesses were less important in the tradition of who looks after the child in case the parents die so I suspect it is more likely that they were people who simply had the time available to travel to the church or town office with the parents for the registration.

I think it is safe to make some guesses about relationships and to investigate them but don't relay such research as fact until you have proven same through the record books.

Jerry Frank