[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] PLATTDEUTSCHER CLUB

shoning at att.net shoning at att.net
Wed May 31 15:13:07 PDT 2006

Mike,

One can assume that the founding members of the club spoke Plattdeutsch regularly, but beyond that I would not assume too much about the membership of a particular ethnic club.  For example, although much later, in the latter part of the 1960s, I played in the German-American Soccer League of New York (I don't know the status of this league now; it may have ceased to exist since then) against teams that were sponsored by various ethnic clubs such as the Ukrainians, the Hungarians, the Greeks, Germania, etc.  Players on these teams were members of the clubs, but many had no national ties to the clubs.  They joined for sport reasons.  On my team players were mostly of German backgrounds, but we had Italians and one or two "Americans"; all spoke American.

George Shoning

-------------- Original message from "Mike McHenry" <maurmike1 at verizon.net>: --------------